Working for tenants and residents


The Council must help if you are either legally homeless, or threatened with homelessness (i.e. likely to become homeless within the next 8 weeks). 

Whilst most people will contact their local council, you do not need to have a local connection to request homelessness assistance. You can therefore approach any council for help. 

When you contact the council, they will either refer you to another council or undertake a homeless assessment. 

Not everyone qualifies for assistance from a council with their homelessness. If you qualify for assistance with housing, they may assist you to access emergency housing if you are already homeless or assist you with accessing longer term housing.

The Government maintains a useful search function to enable you to identify relevant contacts within your council’s homeless team, available here